Airport information and maps for Naval Air Station Sigonella:
Share this airport:
NSY Airport Information:
|IATA / ICAO Codes:||NSY / LICZ|
|GPS Coordinates:||37°24'6"N by 14°55'19"E|
|Operator/Owner:||Italian Air Force
United States Navy
|Elevation:||79 feet (24 meters)|
|# of Runways:||2|
|View all routes:||Routes from NSY|
|Gift Shop:||T-shirts and other gifts for Catania, Italy|
- Facts about NSY
- Map of Nearest Airports to NSY
- List of Nearest Airports to NSY
- Map of Furthest Airports from NSY
- List of Furthest Airports from NSY
Facts about Naval Air Station Sigonella (NSY):
- In addition to being known as "Naval Air Station Sigonella", other names for NSY include "Base aerea di Sigonella" and "NAS Sigonella".
- By the end of August 1959, the NAF II airfield was available for daylight flights under visual flight rules.
- From 1987 to 2002, there was a base housing development Villaggio Costanzo which was located in the village of Santa Maria La Stella, in the comune of Aci Sant'Antonio, and approximately 60 minutes from NAS I.
- On the night of 10 October 1985, there were tense hours on NAS II when the Italian Carabinieri, Italian Air Force, and the US Army's Delta Force came close to firing upon one another following the interception by Navy F-14 Tomcat fighters of an Egyptian Boeing 737 airliner carrying the hijackers of the Italian cruise ship, the Achille Lauro, which had been commandeered by members of the PLO on 7 October.
- The furthest airport from Naval Air Station Sigonella (NSY) is Chatham Islands (CHT), which is located 11,695 miles (18,821 kilometers) away in Waitangi, Chatham Islands, New Zealand.
- One of Sigonella's first buildings was what is now the American Forces Network building.
- The closest airport to Naval Air Station Sigonella (NSY) is Catania–Fontanarossa Airport (CTA), which is located only 9 miles (14 kilometers) ENE of NSY.
- The United States Naval Air Facility, Sigonella, was established 15 June 1959.
- Naval Air Station Sigonella (NSY) has 2 runways.
- Because of Naval Air Station Sigonella's relatively low elevation of 79 feet, planes can take off or land at Naval Air Station Sigonella at a lower air speed than at airports located at a higher elevation. This is because the air density is higher closer to sea level than it would otherwise be at higher elevations.