Airport information and maps for Christchurch International Airport:
Share this airport:
CHC Airport Information:
|IATA / ICAO Codes:||CHC / NZCH|
|Airport Name:||Christchurch International Airport|
|Location:||Christchurch, New Zealand|
|GPS Coordinates:||43°29'21"S by 172°31'55"E|
|Operator/Owner:||Christchurch City Council (75%)
NZ Government (25%)
|Elevation:||123 feet (37 meters)|
|# of Runways:||3|
|View all routes:||Routes from CHC|
- Facts about CHC
- Map of Nearest Airports to CHC
- List of Nearest Airports to CHC
- Map of Furthest Airports from CHC
- List of Furthest Airports from CHC
Facts about Christchurch International Airport (CHC):
- Christchurch International Airport handled 556,096 passengers last year.
- Since the closure of Wigram Air Force Base, the Royal New Zealand Air Force always flies to Christchurch International Airport when required to visit the city.
- The furthest airport from Christchurch International Airport (CHC) is A Coruña Airport (LCG), which is nearly antipodal to Christchurch International Airport (meaning Christchurch International Airport is almost on the exact opposite side of the Earth from A Coruña Airport), and is located 12,389 miles (19,939 kilometers) away in A Coruña, Spain.
- Runway 11/29 will be widened and extended 244m west into the nearby golf course and a RESA will be added to each end to make it comply with ICAO standards.
- The closest airport to Christchurch International Airport (CHC) is Ashburton Aerodrome (ASG), which is located 47 miles (75 kilometers) SW of CHC.
- Because of Christchurch International Airport's relatively low elevation of 123 feet, planes can take off or land at Christchurch International Airport at a lower air speed than at airports located at a higher elevation. This is because the air density is higher closer to sea level than it would otherwise be at higher elevations.
- The prevailing wind in Christchurch is from the north-east and to a lesser extent from the south-west, but the city is also affected by Canterbury's Nor'wester foehn wind.
- Christchurch International Airport (CHC) has 3 runways.